Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Elephant stuffed in a peanut can

I read an article that was posted by a fellow WLS Blogger "The World According to Eggface" about a man who complained that he had to stand the entire flight because the person next to him was too fat.  This infuriates me because I have a feel that the person was just like me on my last flight where the seat is majorly uncomfortable and squeezing into my hips, the belt is too tight but I still fit into that seat damn it!!  Now I don't know all the details, the man could have been morbidly obese and taking up two seats, but I don't think any flight attendant would have let that man stay on that plane if that was the situation.  The skinny guy in this situation claimed he was forced to stand for a 7 hour flight.  Here is the link to the article, but the comments on the article amazed me the most.  People are petrified that by touching a fat person they are going to get so fat they are going to have to be rolled to work themselves.  Wake up jerks!!  And as for the whole "it's not a medical condition, you just need to stop eating"  concept, yeah I tried that.  See when you get to a certain weight, your metabolism slows down, well I don't need to explain.

My point is that people who are heavy, overweight, obese, etc, are discriminated against on a daily basis.  I am almost half the size I was a year ago and I still get dirty looks.  I am happy with how I look.  I am fit, I exercise, I love the way I feel. But it has taken me years to feel this way.  However, even after losing 160 pounds, I am still considered overweight. (To get to a healthy BMI I need to lose 17 more pounds) I tried every diet in the book before surgery and was even moderately successful.  (Especially when I took diet pills a.k.a. Rx speed, yeah that is healthy in the long term).  But that moment that I stopped and even thought about a mini m&m the weight came back!

When I flew, I wasn't even at my heaviest weight and I was mortified!  I could not wait to get off that airplane and hid from society.  I feel for the poor bloke in this article, not that A-H that had to stand for 7 hours, but for the obese guy who had to put up with that humiliation.  I think that the fact that the majority of American are overweight would make us all a little kinder to those who struggle with their weight, but no.  It is a sad world my friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment